A Job Opportunity in Hiroshima University, Japan (Associate Professor, Department of Development Technology, IDEC) (http://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/en/idec/)
Hiroshima University, Japan is recruiting a faculty member as follows:
1) Affiliation: Department of Development Technology, Division of Development Science, Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC)
2) Position: Associate Professor (full-time)
3) Important dates:
- Deadline of application: October 30, 2015
- Date of Appointment: April 1, 2016
IDEC was established in April 1994 and aims at fostering human resources (researchers, advanced professionals, etc.) who are capable to be actively involved in the international community,
by creating an advanced knowledge system of international cooperation (called International Cooperation Studies) through interdisciplinary education, research and practice.
In the Department of Development Technology, we conduct research and education, from an international perspective, related to a variety of technologies that can facilitate sustainable development,
based on the knowledge of the local environment in a country. More specifically, our focuses on developing countries, primarily in Asia and Africa,
include the following areas: disaster prevention and architecture; urban, regional and transportation planning; marine development and usage; ecosystem conservation and management; and biological resource development and usage, etc.
1) Education and research related to energy technologies, mainly in the context of developing countries, in the field of environmental science, naval architecture and ocean engineering, architecture, or civil engineering
2) Promotion of interdisciplinary education and research projects contributing to international environmental cooperation
3) Subjects in charge: A new subject “Energy Technologies”, and other related subjects
1) Specialized in the field of environmental science, naval architecture and ocean engineering, architecture, or civil engineering
2) Academic achievements are excellent, and there are also educational achievements and international cooperation related achievements.
3) Having a doctorate degree
4) Being able to conduct research and give lectures at the graduate level in English
Application Documents (One for each of the documents)
1) Curriculum vitae
- A photo is required.
- Attach a copy of any certificate of English language proficiency (e.g., English language proficiency test results), if available.
2) List of research achievements
All the documents should be numbered based on the following classifications.
(1) Refereed papers in academic journals
(2) Papers presented in international conferences
(3) Other papers
(4) Books or book chapters
(5) Research funds obtained
(6) Others (review articles, commentaries, patents, database, etc.)
3) Reprints or copies of a maximum of five publications (saved in PDF files) selected from the above (1) Refereed papers in academic journals and (2) Papers presented in international conferences.
4) Summary of research experiences and research contents (about two pages in A4 format)
5) Research plan and aspirations of education and international contributions (about two pages in A4 format)
6) Syllabus proposal of the new subject “Energy Technologies” in English (90 min × 15 times)
Application documents should be posted to:
Prof. Akimasa Fujiwara, Dean of the Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation,
Hiroshima University, 1-5-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima 739-8529, Japan
- Posting: Please write "Faculty Application Documents" in red on the envelope containing all the above-required documents via a post. The post should be registered.
- Before posting: please scan all the application documents and send the scanned documents via e-mail (email@example.com). When sending, please add the reference number “HU-IDEC-DDT-2015” to the e-mail subject line.
- Inquiries: Please contact our school office via a post mail, a facsimile (+81-824246904), or the e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), but NOT by phone.
- We select candidates based on the application documents, and/or a face-to-face interview when needed.
- We will implement a face-to-face interview to the candidates who have passed the first screening. In such a case, please note that no travel expenses will be paid. For those who are living outside Japan, an interview via Skype etc. will also be available.
- Salary, insurance and other allowances are as per the Hiroshima University norms.
- A standard monthly salary system will be applied. If there is a consent from the selected candidate, an annual salary system may be applied, where salary and other payments will be determined based on the candidate's personal performance.
Evaluation after employment
We plan to quantitatively evaluate all faculty members' personal performance after their employment based on a proper scoring method, and translate the evaluation results into the treatment of their salary and other payments.
Appendix 1: Hiroshima University promotes gender-equal society in accordance with the legislative intent of the Basic Law for a Gender-Equal Society.
Appendix 2: Private information included in the application documents will be ONLY used for the selection of candidates in accordance with the Hiroshima University's Rules of Personal Information Protection. The application documents of those candidates who failed will be sent back afterward.
Junyi Zhang, Prof. Dr. Eng.
Head of Department of Development Technology,
1-5-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi Hiroshima, 739-8539,
Japan Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation,